Last week a coworker of mine brought another coworker and I “pistachio” muffins from, well, from a place I would rather not disclose because it’s just not that big of deal and I love their muffins, in fact their entire menu but I feel somewhat cheated. I was so excited because pistachio is one of the nuts that I can actually have after somehow developing a tree nut and peanut allergy.😒
**Fun Fact: Did you know that peanuts are considered legumes, therefore, part of the peas and lentil family? I didn’t know either until I developed the allergy and had to watch everything I ate.**
Anyway, I was so excited to eat this muffin and as soon as I took my first bite I started to feel my mouth itch and so I spit out what I thought was a pistachio, it was a WALNUT! Ugh. Seriously? So then I kind of just picked around the walnuts, I know, ballsy, I probably should have not done that but the muffin is just that good. 👅 Not to completely dissect this muffin but it totally tasted like some serious almond extract or something. Still good but I was missing the pistachio.
I felt like it was some physiological trick. I mean you a see a beautiful bright green muffin – not sure if I mentioned that but it was super green- and nuts your mind is already believing that you are going to be biting into a pistachio muffin. I seriously want to know what are in those muffins and why they used walnuts instead of pistachios? Perhaps, they are kind of dry? Too hard? Either way, I was on a mission to make REAL pistachio muffins.
I wanted to blow away my coworkers but I will tell you what, I don’t think I came even close to that darn muffin but at least mine had real pistachios. LOL. My coworkers loved my muffins so I was pretty thrilled, mission complete! 🙌🏽
To be honest, I kind of lost track of how much milk I used but I would just add until it looks right. Haha. So I think the amount below should suffice. I peeked around the web for some recipes but I didn’t find much, so I took something from here and there, substituted various things and added my own touch. Hopefully you enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar – extra for sprinkling the tops of muffins
- 2 tbsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ½ cinnamon
- ½ tsp of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 box of instant pistachio pudding
- ½ cup of finely chopped pistachio – for mixing and for garnishing (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- ¾ cup of coconut oil (heat up in the microwave for liquid)
- 5-6 drops of green food coloring or however green you want to go (yes, I am also going to trick your mind!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients including oil and food coloring.
- Gently pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until all flour is moistened, It should be a very thick batter. **Optional: You can the pistachios into the batter not just garnish them with the pistachios.
- Fill cups at least ¾ of the way so that they rise into nice fluffy muffin tops! I sprinkled chopped pistachios and sugar on top right before slipping them into the oven, I have to say, I was happy I did!
- Bake at 375 for 17-20 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean.